SCCM 2012 Survey Results
The bioMérieux Sepsis Survey Project surveyed and interviewed 187 critical care specialists at the 2012 Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM) conference. bioMérieux has been tracking sepsis prevalence trends and surveyed thousands of doctors, nurses and pharmacists over five years.
1) Are you familiar with PCT as a new biomarker to aid in the diagnosis of sepsis?
2) If a test were available that could help you determine in less than 30 minutes that the cause of an infection is viral, rather than a severe bacterial infection, would you find the test:
|A dramatic improvement in care||112|
|A good tool, but not essential||56|
|A diagnostic you would not typically use||6|
3) Have you ever ordered a PCT test for a patient in the ICU?
4) If yes, how do you use these (PCT) results?
|To stratify risk of sepsis and septic shock||70|
|To select drug therapy||15|
|To discontinue antibiotic treatment||30|
5) Circle the answers that describe the sepsis trend among your CC patients over the last 12 months:
|Affecting Younger Patients||34|
6) If you have seen an increase in sepsis, to what do you attribute this trend?
|Medical and technological advances associated with treatments||52|
|Increasing number of elderly, immunocompromised patients||62|
7) If a biomarker test could be used to monitor the progression of sepsis over 24 hours, would use see it as beneficial?
8) In the treatment of a likely sepsis patient, circle the answer below that best describes the impact on patient care if you had positive organism ID within minutes of positve blood culture:
|Dramatic improvement in care||144|
9) In an infection that likely will lead to sepsis could be identified by your mirco lab 12-24 hrs faster, what would be the impact on treatment?
|I would use the information to select the best possible therapy||110|
|I would reduce usage of broad spectrum abx with this information||76|
|This could significantly improve the treatment of my sepsis patients and improve outcomes||35|
|Without rapid AST, this would be helpful but would not impact outcomes||7|
10) Is rapid microbial ID helpful in the treatment of sepsis without immediate AST data?
11) Why do same-day AST matter to you?
|Help guide therapy||109|
|Correct incorrect treatment decisions||45|
|Avert misuse and overuse of abx||77|
12) Are you aware of research into technologies, such as as MS, that hold the potential to significantly speed up the identification of infection?
13) Are you familiar with MALDI-TOF MS and its potential to speed up infection ID from days to hours?
14) Select the answer below that best describes your assessment of abx resistance in the ICU:
|To blame for increasing fatalities last 2 years||30|
|Significant problem in the ICU||101|
|Serious but manageable problem||25|